The Solar System
Computer graphics and footage of the planets combine in this magnificent review of our solar system. Learn about the structure of the different planets, the history of human interest in the solar system, and the strides we are taking to become better acquainted with our universe.
Join the magnificent review of our Solar System and learn about the structure of different planets, the history of human interest in the Solar system, and the strides we are taking to become better acquainted with our universe.
- Students will understand that our solar system is made up of planets, moons, asteroids, meteoroids, comets, and our star, the Sun.
- Students will understand what are a star, a planet, and a pluton.
- Students will realize that there are currently 8 planets in our solar system: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.
- Students will realize that there are also three dwarf planets in our solar system: Ceres, Pluto, and Eris.
- Students will understand the difference between a planet and a dwarf planet.
- Students will realize that our understanding of the universe is always changing; therefore, our definitions of the objects in our universe are always changing too. As our technology advances, we are able to discover new objects in space. Before, we classified nine objects as planets. Today we call three objects dwarf planets. In the future, we may consider many more objects to be dwarf planets too!
- Before viewing the video
- Have a “Solar System Quiz” to see what the students already know. Ask them questions like: Which planet is the largest? (Jupiter), Which planet is closest to the sun? (Mercury), Which planet is called the red planet? (Mars), What is the largest object in our solar system? (The Sun) Include questions that focus on recent changes in how we think about our solar system such as: How many planets are in our solar system? (8) and which dwarf planet is the largest? (Eris).
- The Objects That Orbit the Sun
- About the Sun
- About the Moon
- Beyond our Solar System