Science Tools for Lab and Life! #1
Tools for science are useful in the classroom - but how do they relate to everyday life? Learn how the same lab tools students use in class are used in a variety of careers from construction to chef to doctor. Bonus Feature includes an experiment with a real world scientist creating a super bouncy ball.
Find out how the same lab tools students use in the classroom are used in a variety of careers from construction to chef to doctor.
- Students will know the names of and uses for different tools used in scientific inquiry.
- Students will understand that the same tools they use in the classroom are used by people at home and in their careers.
- Students will understand the importance of using scientific tools correctly.
- Students will know that their five senses are the most important scientific tools they have.
- Tools for life. Ask students to make a list of or draw the tools they learned about in the video. Encourage students to work together to think of other scientific tools that they have seen used in the classroom. Ask students to go home and find out what kinds of tools their parents use at home and on the job. Have students draw pictures or take photographs of their parents using scientific tools at home. Students should share their findings with the class and discuss.
- Experiment with tools. Ask students to think of an experiment they would like to try. Brainstorm as a class ideas that could be tested. Have students work individually or as a group to design an experiment, focusing on observation, safety, and measurement tools. Discuss each experiment as a class, and choose whether or not they are viable. If there is time, have students gather tools and test their experiments in class.
- ID: S4026
- Subject: Science
- Grade Level: 0-2
- Safety Tools in the Lab
- Safety Tools in Life
- Observation Tools in the Lab
- Observation Tools in Life
- Measurement Tools in the Lab
- Measurement Tools in Life
- Bonus Feature