For Josh, 'dinner' will never be the same! In this engaging production children learn the importance of making good food choices for health, growth, and energy. Specific nutrients; proteins, carbohydrates, fats, minerals, vitamins, and fibers are all presented and discussed in a memorable way. Students are introduced to the new individualized food guide MyPlate, and will learn how to read and apply this tool to their lives.
Watch Energy Man help Josh learn about the importance of good nutrition.
- Students will learn about the new USDA MyPlate food guidelines and food groups.
- Students will know the different types of nutrients, their functions, and how they work together to maintain a healthy body.
- Students will learn how to identify healthy foods and incorporate them into meals and snacks.
- Students will understand that nutrients in food can be determined by reading nutrition facts on the food labels.
- Plan a menu. Ask students to use the USDA MyPlate food guidelines and lessons from the video to make a weekly menu for their families. Encourage students to consider portion sizes, servings of each food group per day, and their families’ dietary preferences. Ask students to share their menus with their families and report back to class. Send a note home to parents that explains activity and encourages them to allow their children to help grocery shop and prepare healthy meals.
- Food diary. Ask students to record what they eat over the course of a day. Have them compare what they eat to the recommendations given by the USDA MyPlate food guidelines. Ask students to discuss how they think the foods they eat affect them. Ask them to experiment with eating healthier foods and to chart what they eat and how they feel over the course of a week. Discuss their findings as a class.
- USDA website. Have students visit the USDA MyPlate food guidelines website, http://www.mypyramid.gov/ , and make a personalized food plate as well as participate in online games and activities that will reinforce lessons learned in the video.
- Vitamins and Minerals
- Water and Fiber
- Food Guide - ChooseMyPlate
- Nutrition Facts Label